To learn more about our program and the application process, visit our FAQ page for Prospective VISTAs.
Please visit our position listing on my.americorps.gov when you are ready to create your AmeriCorps application and begin our application process.
NC Campus Compact AmeriCorps*VISTA members work with community agencies and college campuses to develop a partnership that addresses local needs in one of three areas: education (especially K-12 success or access to post-secondary education), economic opportunity (especially housing or financial literacy), or healthy futures (especially food security). The specific nature and objectives of the project vary depending on host site. Most VISTA members share work time between campus and community partner offices, and thereby gain experience in both non-profit and higher education arenas.
- Assess community and agency needs and identify assets
- Recruit and train volunteers
- Develop data systems to manage people and performance
- Create policies and procedures that increase agency effectiveness
- Support citizen and student leadership and participation in service
- Seek new resources through fund-raising and grant-writing
- Facilitate service-learning placements, community-based research, and co-curricular opportunities that support communities
- Promote AmeriCorps, VISTA, and national service
Program Benefits include: Living Allowance, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend, Health Coverage, Relocation Allowance, Training, Childcare assistance if eligible
Applicants must be:
- U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident
- College graduate (or Bachelors degree expected by May 2014)
- passion for the VISTA mission of fighting poverty and strengthening communities
- strong interest and experience in community service
- experience working with volunteers, especially college students
- proven leadership and project management skills
- proven networking, communication, and organization skills
- ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- ability to work independently and as part of a team
- ability to engage others
Help fight poverty by harnessing the power of higher education! Apply today to join the NC Campus Compact VISTA team!