Wednesday, August 8, 2012

VISTA Profile: Anya Piotrowski

Anya hails from Reedsburg, Wisconsin, but is quite the traveler – she’s lived in four states in the past four years, has moved at least once a year since 2006, and has spent time in Brazil and Mexico! She studied history at the University of Tampa (B.A.) and the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire (M.A.). Anya has been serving as a VISTA at UNC-Greensboro since February 2012.


SP: What previous volunteer or work experience led you to becoming a VISTA?
AP: I spent time living in Brazil as a child and went on a mission trip to Mexico the summer before my senior year of high school. I also went on two Alternative Spring Break trips and an Alternative Weekend trip when I was a student at the University of Tampa. I loved the experiences and ended up becoming very involved with a campus organization that revolved around service! All of the experiences have made me more aware of how lucky I am and have inspired me to serve within any community I live in.

SP: What is the primary focus of your project? Which community partner(s) or populations will your project serve?
AP: The primary focus of my work is food security. I spend roughly 30% of my time working at the Interactive Resource Center (IRC), a day center for the homeless in downtown Greensboro. I am the IRC liaison for the community garden. At UNCG I am planning a full week of events for Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week since UNCG does not have a week of events already established. My on-campus events will be a great way to connect the UNCG community with the IRC in another way.

A recent harvest from the IRC community garden!

SP: What are you most looking forward to during your term of service?
AP: I am looking forward to Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week at UNCG and seeing the fall garden grow at the IRC. I'm also looking forward to the NC Campuses Against Hunger Summit in October, for which I am facilitating a panel discussion. On a personal note, I'm hoping to make it to a Carolina Hurricanes game when they play the Tampa Bay Lightning!