Below are just a few examples of VISTA projects that contribute to these grand totals. All our VISTA members focus on one of the CNCS priorities: economic opportunity, education, and food security.
- Durham Tech Community College - Campus Harvest Plot, 24 vols, 54 hrs, 8/12-10/31, Student volunteers serving at Briggs Ave. Community Garden.
- Queens University - Sedgefield Elementary library re-organization, 25 volunteers, 120 hours, Every Tuesday afternoon, Students are re-organizing entire library to provide more Accelerated Reader tests to students.
- UNC Chapel Hill - SMART Mentoring Program, 24 vols, 223 hrs, 9/24-10/31, student mentors met with mentees during variety of activities and projects for approx. 2.5 hours a week.
- Lenoir-Rhyne - Centro Latino Soccer Fundraiser, Cash, $530.95, Between 10/8-10/13.
- UNC Greensboro - IRC/Transition Greensboro Community Garden Cistern, Grant/Program, $1,659, Oct. 3 (date approved for funding), NC Community Conservation Assistance Program.
- Wake Forest University - Campus Kitchen, Food and produce donations, $9250 (in-kind value), Aramark and the Fresh Market.
- Mary Baldwin College - Project GROWS, donated food to the food bank and Boys and Girls club, $200 value, Fridays between 8/28-10/26.
As you can see, our VISTAs have been busy mobilizing resources to strengthen campus-community partnerships! You can view the full VISTA Quarterly Report Summary at our VISTA Annex site. In the coming weeks, we'll highlight more of these projects and the VISTA members who make them happen.