To learn more about our program and the application process, visit our FAQ page for Prospective VISTAs.
Please visit our position listing on AmeriCorps.gov when you are ready to create your AmeriCorps application and begin our application process.
NC Campus Compact AmeriCorps*VISTA members work with a community agency and a campus to develop a partnership that addresses local needs in one of three areas: education (especially K-12 success or access to post-secondary education), economic opportunity (especially housing or financial literacy), or healthy futures (especially food security). The specific nature and objectives of the project vary depending on host site. Most VISTA members share work time between campus and community partner offices, and thereby gain experience in both non-profit and higher education arenas.
Member activities may include: * developing processes, materials, and tools for volunteer recruitment, training, and coordination * establishing community or campus leadership teams around issues of concern * designing internship positions at community partner * seeking financial support for community partner * coordinating national day of service events * creating publicity and outreach materials.
Applicants must be:
- U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident
- College graduate (or Bachelors degree expected by May 2013)
- passion for the VISTA mission of fighting poverty and strengthening communities
- strong interest and experience in community service
- experience working with volunteers, especially college students
- proven leadership and project management skills
- proven networking, communication, and organization skills
- ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- ability to work independently and as part of a team
- ability to engage others